Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Trip To Salt Lake

We went into Salt Lake last weekend for a 1 year appointment for Hannah. We ended up taking all three kids, which we usually don't because it's a lot slower with all of them. It actually ended up being a total blast. We got all of our shopping done and even visited with some old friends. The kids loved the trip. Poor kids - I really deprive them of some of the luxuries of the city. One is a mall. I never go and they've never been. They rode a merry-go-round and played in a play area. They thought it was great. So did I. Even eating out was a new experience as well and they loved it. Poor little country bumpkins!


One friend I visited was my nurse, Sherrie. She was my nurse after I had Hannah. Hannah was an emergency c-section and three weeks early. I think labor is always a little scary no matter which way the baby comes out, but this made me pretty nervous. Hannah even ended up in the NICU with oxygen on all the time. It was lonely sometimes because we ended kind of trapped in Utah when we weren't expecting it. We had come in for an appointment and a case lot shopping sale. I wasn't expecting a new baby. We had Hyrum with us (who was 2) who was quickly shuffled up to Cameron's sister's house in Salt Lake. Cameron was running back and forth to a motel and his sisters. Then my mom flew in and kind of saved the day for Cam and Hyrum. Sherrie was an angel sent from heaven. When no other nurse could remember my name, she was sneaking me goodies and spending some of her free time chatting with me. Sherrie kept me company and calmed my fears. You can always tell a nurse who has a few kids - they are more relateable and nurturing. I just felt bonded to her. Well, this weekend I was able to see her again and show her the little angel that we brought home last year. I started crying when I first saw her and can't really say why. It just brought back all of my thankfullness that I wasn't able to express at the time. So, thank you Sherrie for everything you did for me and thanks to all those great nurses who give so much without ever knowing how much you've really done. You cannot realize how much you are appreciated!!

5 comments:

Jill said...

Wnat an adventure. Do you have to go to SLC for every well check or was this a special appointment?

Unknown said...

Without doubt, the cutest grandkids in Northern Hemisphere. Mindy, I love your hair that length; with your weight loss, it looks great.

EmmaJ said...

I think (and my parents wallets would probably agree) that keeping kids out of malls is a good thing!

Glad you had a great trip and got to see an old friend. Good and caring hospital staff is so priceless.

THE HORSLEYS said...

Huh, I don't remember hearing about Hannah being 3 weeks early and on oxygen. That is scary. Then again, my memory isn't so great these days. You know, forgetful pregnant stuff.

Vilate Thacker said...

Your hair is getting so long Mindy. Next time you head to SLC you should let us know, maybe we could come out and say hi!