Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Quest to Start My Food Storage Supply

I know I am really, really behind in food storage, but I have always been really scared of starting. Some of it was where to start, how to afford it and in the beginning, where to put it. Now that we have a basement, I have the place to put it, but I didn't know where to begin. I started doing research last month as the push to get this going was getting stronger and stronger. Provident Living didn't give me any specifics and 3rd party websites are all about dehydrated and freeze-dried foods (and are really expensive). I did, however find a site on lds.about.com that gave me a food storage calculator and I went from there. Then about the middle of August I made a call to Macey's Foods for another reason and found out that they were having a bulk foods sale the next week. I made a quick trip in with the truck and made my Mom and Grandma go with me. What a productive trip!! As you can see I got a good portion of what was on the list from the calculator. They didn't have everything I needed, but what I did get has made me feel like a load has been lifted. As for the way to afford it, we took half of our gov kickback check. I used about 2/3 at this sale and next month will buy some canned foods from Macey's case lot sale. The rest will go towards a wheat grinder. (If anyone has suggestion for a grinder - please comment!) For some reason Cameron thinks we need one now that we have 315 lbs. of wheat. Macey's might not have the best deal, but it was the best I have seen - especially for around here!


(Just don't look at the messy basement!)


While my folks were here - they helped us put up the 3 boxes of peaches and 3 boxes of pears they brought out for us. We ended up putting up 51 quarts of pears and 32 quarts of peaches. That has also added to our food storage considerably! I feel so much better!

3 comments:

Leigh said...

WOW, I'm so impressed! We're focused on our 3 month supply of things we normally eat, then we'll build from there. Good for you. There is definitely a feeling a safety and peace when you have food on your shelves and you know you can feed your family! Good job!

wix said...

Hey Mindy. Way to go! We have been doing the same thing as you---trying to FINALLY have a decent food storage. We got a wheat grinder we like---it's a nutrimill. Expensive but we make all our bread, so very handy, and works very well. Highly recomend it. They say you should also have a hand grinder in case the power goes out. You can get a cheap one--Back to Basics is the brand. Love ya, Kiki

Ward Family said...

I am SUPER impressed. We have a bag of wheat from Darrell's parents, but I have NO clue what to do with it! The rest of our "supply" consists of 72 hour kits, and as much extra food as we can possibly store in our cupboards and garage shelf. Not much, but we are working on it!