Monday, September 7, 2009

Did You Know That Cameron Hates Snakes?

Well, being from the land where nothing but the teenagers are harmless, I grew up loving snakes and my parents were always kind enough to let us bring animals home. Cameron's side of the family hates them. I don't find that hard to believe because just about every wild animal here bites, stings or stinks. His father hates them worse and his father before them would rather vacate a house than go after one. On my way home from a hike behind my house I found a harmless baby racer snake. It would try to bite, but had no teeth and was only 1/4" around and 8 inches long. I thought the kids would love and brought it home. Well, the kids did love it and played with it all day long. Hyrum even thanked Heavenly Father for letting "Slither" in our family. I didn't think about telling Cam that we had the thing downstairs in an old fish tank with a grasshopper waiting to be munched - it was too late and I was too tired. The next day was Sunday and Cam comes in to wake me up and starts to tell me about Hyrum crying and rambling on about some snake and how he lost it. I finally snapped out of it at that sentence and asked if he let it go. I sprint down the hall to ask Hyrum with Cam yelling my full name (he always calls me by my maiden name when I've done something wrong). Sure enough, Hyrum had accidentally let the snake go when he got up before the crack of dawn to hold the snake before Paige could take it away. To make matters worse, Paige decided that she should release the grasshopper as well so at least Slither could have something to eat - did I mention that I put it in our bottomless pit of a basement? Brilliant Melinda . . . So I don't even know if it's still down there, the kids have tried to look without luck, but at least we won't have any mice sneaking in for awhile. Needless to say - no Horsley man would go in the basement during our Sunday family dinner.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Does this mean that Paige's bedroom will never be completed?

Candice said...

SO funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the life and times out on the prairie's! You should send that in to Reader's Digest - I think they still pay for funny stories.

THE HORSLEYS said...

I'm with the Horsley men....you're insane! Hope you get that thing caught before it's no longer a baby and might hurt one of yours!!!

Vilate Thacker said...

that is too hillarious! let me knowhow the snake vs mice thing goes, maybe I need a snake in my house! :)

Ann said...

Ok, that is hilarious! But never tell Patti or Jaime or they may never come & visit you again. I have to admit, I'm debating that myself.... :)

Jill said...

Awesome. Did you ever find that snake?

Liz said...

oh, goodness, that makes me laugh. really laugh. i wish cameron were here so that I could actually laugh AT him. i miss you guys!